Thursday, September 24, 2009

GREAT NEWS FOR MARINE INVASIVE SPECIES MONITORING

MISM has been funded for another two years (through June 2011) and Nahkeeta NW will continue as the program coordinator working under contract with WDFW.
San Juan County has 14 beach watcher volunteers who participate in this program. Hopefully everyone has been successful in monitoring the beaches they have chosen and entered the information on the Nahkeeta website for Ann Eissinger. There were some computer glitches at the beginning of the summer that she believes have been taken care of.
Ann is asking for comments and suggestion from the volunteers that will help to improve the MISM program, make it a rewarding experience for everyone and provide useful information.
You may either use this forum for your comments, or send them directly to me at zencamp@comcast.net.
Personally, I have enjoyed this monitoring very much. Not only have I learned about the invasive species that we are looking for, but I have also learned a lot about the native species that live on the beaches in our islands. I have seen many interesting animals that I have never come across before, and probably wouldn't have come across unless monitoring. I have several questions and comments for Ann, and I hope that if you do, you will post them or send me an email.
Ann is working with Padilla Bay National Estuarine Reserve to develop specialized workshops that focus on Species ID of certain taxa such as tunicates, whelks/drills and crabs. She will send out an announcement once the programs are set up.
Nancy Alboucq
SJBW-MISM coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment