Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What Would You Do?


On a recent trip to the San Diego area, I enjoyed watching the sea lions who regularly haul out on along the waterfront in La Jolla. All day long people watch from the boardwalk above them as they warm up in the sun, compete for the more comfortable spots on the rocks, and swim and dive off the beach. I took a few pictures, including trying out the zoom on my new camera, but didn't look at them till I got back home and downloaded. To my dismay, I realized that the guy in the middle of this picture has a bunch of netting of some kind around his head. (It's more evident if the photo is enlarged, but it's definitely there.) I couldn't tell exactly what it is, or how badly entangled he is, but he seems to be stuck with it. What do you do? I passed the picture along to the Whale Museum, hoping they might have some contacts in the La Jolla area, but is there even any way he could be helped? It's very hard to see things like this and feel like there is not much that can be done. Certainly a sad reminder to all of us that everything we put into our waters has an impact. I hope this guy has been able to extricate himself and that he'll be able to avoid similar encounters in the future! Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment